T70 Spyder replica build

Moderators: Gerald Swan, Glyn Jones, Johan

Postby john » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:43 pm

I see!! Much better configuration. You don't have to remove the whole clip if you need to work up front. Very nice!! However,You see what we have to work with so I'm kind of stuck. Im trying to keep the cost down so I think this modification may run over budget.

Regads john
john

Postby Ron Earp » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:33 am

I know that there is enough room the the Roaring Forties style chassis to do a pedal box with remote reserviors inside the car and not outside the spaceframe/panel. If you do it that way your front access might not matter much as the only things you'd need to fool with are radiator fans and cooling ducts for brakes, neither of which require much attention. If you do it in that fashion ease of access up front is rather mote.
Ron Earp

Postby john » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:27 pm

My fiberglass guy recieved the body today. the body is 85 thousand's. Very thin! As per the original bodies. The body is being prepped for the mold. The glass is going to be hand laid and the body will be true to original form with upgrades. I will show pictures as things progress. We also know the original owner of this body and his name is listed the Lola registry. JOHN
john

Postby Johan » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:52 pm

Several questions begged to be asked. Why not repair and use the original body you have ? There is no market really for you to produce bodies for a MK 3b Spyder, as others have already found out. The main difference is the nose and it is not a very desirable nose at that. It seems like you will spend more money making the mold than repairing the body, and then you will no longer have an original body on your car if you use the body you have made. Further, if you alter your original body from its current modified state, you will probably then find a picture of perhaps an Andretti car with the body on it that you just cut up to make the mold. Next question, do you want to buy or build a chassis ? What are you going to do with the car ie street or track use ? I agree that the body looks original.
Johan

Postby john » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:19 pm

johan, I respect you questions and I will try to anserw without be inflamitory or insulting.

The original body has already has been altered from the original state. Like most original car owners including yourself, the original body or a reproduction body has been formed/upgraded to personal taste. I don't want to use the original body because it is simple to fragil for my intentions. Most folks today with reproductiuon cars ie. Gt40's ect..ect.. have a much higher degree of quailty from the origianl car bodies. The car I'm building is a reproduction not a original. Now if I had a original chassis, and were a purist, I would probably make sense to repair the original body.

My intentions of building a mold is not for Money! I'm only doing a mold so I can make availiable body parts to those who want them without owning a original serial# car. I was mocked By RCR that it would be impossible to get a body without owning a chassis tag.
Well I proved them wrong!! Also! If original car owners want a body part "I have had 2 request for bodies" without paying the huge $$$ from other co. The body parts will simply be availiable to anybody. This is my only intention. I'm NOT in the repoduction buisiness. You have also stated twice that the nose is not very desiralbe. I think your wrong. I think it looks great!!! Again personal taste!

Lastly, the chassis is going to be a built for me. My plans are going to autocross events and to simply have fun with the car. I really believe that the other companies that have not been successfull marketing there car simply are bad marketers. EX. RCR Makes the T70 spyder and you don't see anything on the web site except the coupe. I think if your going to sell a car what ever it is, it needs to be marketed well and a finished product needs to be shown...Not just pictures of unfinished cars. I also see that in the near future you will start to see many more reproductiuons of the lola T-70 spyder. I know this will make origianal owners like yourself unhappy. But it is bound to happen. Thanks for you questions and I hope they were anserwed without ruffling feathers.

JOHN
john

Postby Johan » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:38 pm

Not ruffling my feathers,try as you might (I know it is you Oliver) but it seems like you have a bone to pick with RCR. I think it would be nice for you to work that out with them in private. They seem to have a very high level of customer satisfaction, so perhaps the fact that you are not a customer of theirs is telling. I'm happy to talk about Lolas here with you as long as you just want to talk about Lolas. I appreciate your compliments
regarding Lolas .
I did not say your nose (I'm glad we are not talking about your car's ass)was undesirable. I said it was not the most desirable and that the moulds already exist. I'm refering to the fact that it has no headlights. If they are added to that style of nose, they look all wrong. I bet there are 20 plus sets of moulds already out there for T70 cars, and anybody can buy a body. Most T70 owners have nose and tail and side pod moulds. All of the original cars that raced at least had a nose mould with them. The average life of a nose is measured in hours. TWR mouldings has the original mould from Specialized Mouldings, I believe.
They are expensive, but I have seen them and the quality is just as original, and very light.
Regarding replicas, I think they are great. The more raceable the more I like them. I have no problem with replicas whatsoever, and am happy to see full grids at historic racing events. I do feel that the average "kit car" type is best raced with NASA or the SCCA and will not qualify for the organized Vintage/Historic organizations, but a replica that is built true to the original, and certainly continuation cars built by the original manufacturer are most welcome on the Historic grid. They would have equal performance to the originals that way.
Yes I have some original cars, and I have some cars that seem original but have been rebuilt enough times that there is not a lot of original car there anymore.
Sadly, truly original cars like the Gurney Spyder are not that raceable anymore due to the age of the suspension components. The lola T70 MK 3b continuation car solves those types of problems. I'm anxious to get behind the wheel of one and give it a spin !
There is a place for all types and an ass for every seat, including yours.
Johan

Postby john » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:31 pm

Yes Johan it me "Oliver" it's no secret. I can tell by the view poll that people are following my words. I hate to dissapoint the ambulance chassers but there will be no blood shed here.

I'm here for information not fights. As for RCR...No bone to pick just call it like I see it. I was using them as a example nothing more. As for other companies having the bodies ready to buy.. Sure!....However it will be big $$$. Like I mentioned these will be a high quility body with out the mark-up. I'm glad your on board with repo's they will get more popular when they are on the track. It is a great car and surly very underestimated. Johan, I will be asking alot of questions here and don't intend to trade hostile words like the past forums. However, I do stand my ground..as you well know. I will be looking to you and and others owners for help. I'm in un- charted grounds with the lola's and look foward to see your cars at the track in the future. I think when my car is finished you will truly appreciate the quality. Heck...You may even want one:)

John
john

Postby john » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:31 pm

Yes Johan it me "Oliver" it's no secret. I can tell by the view poll that people are following my words. I hate to dissapoint the ambulance chassers but there will be no blood shed here.

I'm here for information not fights. As for RCR...No bone to pick just call it like I see it. I was using them as a example nothing more. As for other companies having the bodies ready to buy.. Sure!....However it will be big $$$. Like I mentioned these will be a high quility body with out the mark-up. I'm glad your on board with repo's they will get more popular when they are on the track. It is a great car and surly very underestimated. Johan, I will be asking alot of questions here and don't intend to trade hostile words like the past forums. However, I do stand my ground..as you well know. I will be looking to you and and others owners for help. I'm in un- charted grounds with the lola's and look foward to see your cars at the track in the future. I think when my car is finished you will truly appreciate the quality. Heck...You may even want one:)

John
john

Postby Johan » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:35 pm

Never say never !
Johan

Postby Johan » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:35 pm

Never say never !
Johan

Postby Johan » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:43 pm

Ron Earp wrote:
Johan wrote:Nice picture Ron. I have that car now.

Cool! I was wondering if it might be the same. I have some more pictures of it that used to be up on a website somewhere, but they aren't there anymore. I'll look for it with the Internet Wayback Machine, nothing is gone forever on the internet with that!

I have a few more, so this car:

and your car are indeed the same one? And the shape is the same as mine it appears.

I would really love to have a better picture of the cockpit area and of the nostril cut out for the radiator, could you shoot a couple for me? That would be really appreciated.

Ron, there are two ways to do the radiator exhaust area. 1 piece and 2 piece. I'll take photos of both. Also , I have the pieces for you if you like that would fit your car.
Ron
Johan

Postby Ron Earp » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:06 am

Johan wrote:

Ron, there are two ways to do the radiator exhaust area. 1 piece and 2 piece. I'll take photos of both. Also , I have the pieces for you if you like that would fit your car.
Ron

Hey Johan,

That would be fantastic, I would really appreciate a couple images of how that is done. 1 piece and 2 piece - is something removable? A picture would probably tell all! :D

Roebling is fast with that repave on, no doubt! It apparently gets a bit greasy but there isn't just one line now and areas where the grip just disappears like before, I imagine you guys will be faster. Some new records were set this weekend with a dang Spec Miatas turning some 1:22s and ITS Miatas getting 1:20s, those cars love that momentum track.

Best,
Ron
Ron Earp

Postby Johan » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:51 am

I really think you should just come down and look. Still happy to post pictures, but eventually you will come.
Johan

Postby Ron Earp » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:30 am

Oct 7th? Will be in Atlanta and it could be a possibility...yes, most definitely I will have to stop and have a visit, couldn't pass that up!
Ron Earp

Postby Johan » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:50 pm

Your nose is similar to this one...Image
Johan

PreviousNext

Return to Lola Heritage Forum