Masters Historic Racing celebrated its 2008 season winners on Saturday January 17 at the Speedmaster Conference Centre. These awards are unusual in being voted for by the Masters’ members themselves, rewarding a combination of driving skill with presentation, sporting behavior and the correct spirit.
Sports car racing is a key element of Masters Historic Racing and the World Sportscar Masters Driver of the Year award went to the rapid and versatile Scotsman Andrew Smith, who enjoyed a superb season in his Lola T70. Andrew’s versatility was highlighted by him racing Jaguar E-Types, Lola T70s and a Formula 1 Hesketh in 2008!
Summary of 2008 Award Winners
- Grand Prix Masters Driver of the Year – Manfredo Rossi di Montelera
- World Sportscar Master Driver of the Year – Andrew Smith
- Sports Racing Master Driver of the Year – Andrew and Mark Owen
- Gentleman Drivers GT and Sports Endurance Driver of the Year – Keith Ahlers and James Bellinger
- Top Hat Driver of the Year – John Young
- Cloth Cap Driver of the Year – Chris Scragg
- Oldies but Goldies Driver of the Year – Richard Postins
- Stars of the 70s Driver of the Year – Henry Mann
- Spirit of the Year – Roger Wills and Michael Pearson
- Preparer of the Year – Steve Farthing of Wren Classics